Friday, March 8, 2019

2.7: Mid-Semester 2 Reflection (Not Finished Yet)

1. I think the sheer amount of people flooding into the United States and where they were coming from is the most important thing I've learned about immigration in the late 19th century. The people coming from Ireland and Germany greatly shows the influence of the rising power of the United States of America that millions upon millions of people are seeking the America dream and escape from their home country. This shows to me how much the United States has grown as a country and helps me understand why immigration is such a big issue today.

Metrocosm, Here's Everyone Who's Immigrated to the U.S. Since 1820

2. I see the longevity and effort that is required to becoming a citizen of the United States is the most important thing I've learned about immigration. I never knew what exactly was required to become a citizen and live in the United States but now I have researched and discovered what the strenuous task of becoming a U.S. citizens consists of. I can now understand the position of immigrants and how hard it must be to achieve citizenship although it does not condone the actions of those who come into the country illegally. Immigration has been a controversial issue for decades and now I personally understand why and can participate in debates other what is to be done about immigration in the United States.

3. I think the two most challenging aspects of living in urban settings in the 19th century was pollution/health and living spaces. There used to be no system or protocol for the safety of public health. Cities like New York were overrun with smog and pollution with garbage lying on the streets. Housing was not much better, people were crammed into buildings  

No comments:

Post a Comment